Saturday, April 01, 2006

 

Villivakkam

Villivakkam is a suburb of Chennai where I grew up. With its infamous railway station, place of worship and the ever bustling market street, it caters to various demographics. I'll write about the history of the town itself some other time, but what caught my attention recently was the Lions club of Villvakkam. Not a fancy website, but I heard about it a while ago when my dad's friend Mr. A.M. Kumaraswamy used to be associated with it. We used to live in Thazhankinaru street next to his house. Only today I realized that he was the first Secretary of the club itself. I am not sure of the accomplishments of the club itself, I could see that the club has setup eye health clinic and promotes eye health check campaigns. Anyway, another interesting piece of information for those who lived in Villivakkam is that the first president was Dr. T.V.N. Iyer. He is famously knows as Nelliapa doctor, who served the community until his very old age and quit only when he could not continue. I've visited him during my childhood, vividly remember his palacious housed colored in white. I do not remember him, treatment or the medication, but I recall how good he was to his patients from the stories I heard from my parents. Today, that house has given away to newer structures. Sometimes, I fear walking those streets to find my memory of Devar street completely out of place.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]